Monday, March 4, 2013

Looking into Luminosity

From what I can tell from wikipedia, in astronomy luminosity is 

"the amount of electromagnetic energy a body radiates per unit of time." 

From this I gather that that during the dark age the matter in the universe was not emitting an electromagnetic energy. Since the energy must have already existed then it must not have been radiating. I'm still a little unsure exactly what that means. 

Looking further into it I cam across this answer:

 "most of the photons in the universe are interacting with electrons and protons in the photon–baryon fluid. The universe is opaque or "foggy" as a result. There is light but not light we could observe through telescopes."

Which I instantly recognized as something we where taught in class the day this question came up.  Having now spent a little extra time with it I feel like I'm beginning to actually understand what went on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment