Friday, March 1, 2013

What The Hell is a Magnet and What Makes Things Bright?

These two questions stuck in my mind after I left class the other day.

The first question occurred to me while I was thinking about electromagnetism. We'd just learned that most things aren't really effected by the electromagnetic force because the positive and negative forces inside them balance each other out and leave them electrically neutral. If this is so then how are magnets made? Obviously something is done to them to upset the balance but what? Do magnets occur naturally? If so where and how? Finally how do magnets work on metal that is still electrically neutral? Do they change the charge of the metal?

The second question came to me when I was thinking about the "Dark Age". If there was light in the universe by this point (assumably the same light that's in the universe now) then how come things where not visible. What is it beyond just light that make something illuminated? I've always assumed it was reflecting off things, if this is so then how solid does something have to to reflect light? What other qualities does it need?

No comments:

Post a Comment