Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dark Stuff Over Dinner

Last night I had some friends over for dinner. One of them was telling me that he'd recently become curious about Astronomy and had ordered a book online that he was very disappointed in. I told him I was taking this class and we spent a good while trying to talk about concepts that where still pretty fuzzy to both of us. Of coarse the the concepts that really caught everyone's imagination where Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

To tell the truth I did a pretty bad job explaining them and my friends seemed pretty skeptical. It was very hard for them to buy into the idea of these things as both real things and sort of place holder terms for phenomenon we're pretty sure exists but don't know anything about. The more they drank the more they liked to say "The dark matter is all around us" in an ominous voice.

I woke up this morning still thinking about it and saw this in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/science/space/new-clues-to-the-mystery-of-dark-matter.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I kinda wish I'd had that article the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment