Monday, April 1, 2013

New Type of Super Nova

Just read this article about a "New Type of Super Nova"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/27/175497906/astronomers-say-theyve-discovered-new-type-of-supernova

This appears to be a much smaller type than the type they use as standard candles. They do however come from binary stars just like the other ones (these ones come from binary stars with white dwarfs). Astronomers also think these ones come from much younger stars since none are found in elliptical galaxies which have less young stars.

It's interesting for me reading these articles since I now know what terms like "elliptical galaxies" and "standard candle" mean. I feel like I've always read scientific articles in mainstream press but I must of just unconsciously skipped over these words. I wonder how many words I skip over without even knowing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment