Monday, April 29, 2013

Stars on Film

I've been having a little bit of a hard time getting my head around some of the concepts in the life of a star so I figured I'd watch a few videos about it.

The first one to come up was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9CQDlQI0A&feature=player_embedded

It was actually pretty helpful. I think the only part I was really having trouble with was understanding the shift from hydrogen to helium fusion. I get it better now that I've seen some visual models of it. It was aslo cool to see some images of planetary nebulae which are pretty bad ass.

I think this one was my favorite

 The second video I watched  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mzE7VZMT1z8) was pretty ridiculous. It covered pretty much the same exact material but in twice the time because it needed to do things like show an image of someone skiing or climbing a rock every time it mentioned gravity. For some reason it's creators also felt that in order to understand a galaxy filled with stars it needed to show us Las Vegas. I'm still unclear on the connection here.

The one cool thing it did talk about was the "Pillars of Creation" I'm going to look into those thing some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment